Newsflare is an online video news community and marketplace for user generated video content. They cover news that is too breaking, too remote or too local to be covered by mainstream news organisations.
Location: Shoreditch, London
Closing date: 30th April 2016
We help members of the public to sell their video clips to major news organisations and media companies around the world.
We are all about news. Unlike many other online video sharing sites Newsflare is dedicated to user-generated news content and encourages an ethos of journalistic values. We believe in the power of video to communicate a message and our service is built to make the most of this medium.
Newsflare is a growing company, operating in a new and exciting industry. Our young, international and dynamic team is made up of journalism, licensing and technology professionals, dedicated to developing a successful business and a strong brand. Our office is based just off ‘Silicon Roundabout’ (the techy term for Old Street Roundabout) in the heart of trendy Shoreditch in east London.
About the internship
As an intern you will become an important part of our newsdesk team. You will have the opportunity to learn from our experienced journalists and licensing professionals and gain a range of skills that will serve you well in any newsroom or new media workplace. Primarily, you will be helping us to search for amazing videos from around the web (we will show you how we do this). You will also have the opportunity to learn how to write compelling news copy, use professional video editing software and gain an understanding of the developing world of content management and video licensing.
We are looking for committed and enthusiastic individuals with a “can-do” attitude and a willingness to learn new skills. We want somebody on our team who loves videos as much as we do and is confident on the social web. You should be familiar with a wide range of video platforms and online communities. You will be able to tell your Redditors from your Liveleakers and know where the best videos can be seen first.
- Undergraduate or post-graduate degree (ideally in journalism or other media-related subject)
- Excellent written English
- A foreign language is a bonus (candidates who speak Russian, Japanese,
- Portuguese or Arabic are particularly desirable)
- Excellent knowledge of the social web, video platforms and social communication
- A good phone manner and a willingness to approach sources via email or phone if
- A passion for videos and new media
- An appreciation of news and journalism
- Energy, enthusiasm and a willingness to muck in wherever required.
What we offer
- Travel expenses (within London only) – We appreciate that this is challenging for many candidates and we are committed to ensuring the experience is worthwhile for all who participate
- We are a growing company and exceptional performance during a 3 month internship has potential to result in a longer-term paid opportunity once a position becomes available (many of our newsdesk team joined us as interns)
- A friendly team and a fun working environment in the heart of Shoreditch
- Other perks include 5-a-side football, a monthly pub quiz and beers every Friday!
Internships will typically run for 3 months before review however shorter placements are available in special circumstances.
Because it takes a few weeks to learn all the skills required to be a member of our Newsdesk team, we cannot offer any internships shorter than 6 weeks.
We are ideally looking for an intern who can start as soon as possible.
How to apply